Established in 1999, Home-Start works in the Arun, Worthing and Adur District Council areas, covering the main towns of Bognor Regis, Littlehampton, Worthing, Lancing and Shoreham and all the surrounding isolated rural communities. We aim to promote the welfare of families, to alleviate stress and conflict in their home and to help to prevent family crisis and breakdown.
Our only criterion is that the family should have at least one child under five. Home-Start believes that strong families raise happy children, helping them grow up to be the better parents of tomorrow. We want to see a society in which every parent has the support they need in order to give their child the best start in life.
Therefore, we offer support to the whole family: adults and children alike.
We help to increase the confidence and independence of families by:
- Visiting families in their own homes to offer support, friendship and practical assistance
- Reassuring parents that their childcare problems are not unusual or unique
- Encouraging parents' strengths and emotional well-being for the ultimate benefit of their children
- Trying to get the fun back into family life
Our volunteers, who have parenting experience themselves, can offer:
- Precious time for listening and talking
- Help with the children
- A break for parents
- Practical help and reassurance
- A chance to meet other parents in similar situations
- Support to use local services and resources
Parents ask for Home-Start's help for all sorts of reasons:
- They may feel isolated in their community, have no family nearby and be struggling to make friends
- They may be finding it hard to cope because of their own or a child's physical or mental illness
- They may have been hit hard by the death of a loved one
- They may be really struggling with the emotional and physical demands of having twins or triplets - perhaps born into an already large family
For more information on Home-Start you can visit the national website by clicking here